Poor health often leads to various diseases like cancer, heart disease, stroke, injuries, lung diseases etc which can even become fatal at times. All of these can be easily averted by adopting some healthy habits and lifestyle changes. Here’re some key tips that you should adopt to live a healthy life.
- Regular physical activity: According to researchers, sedentary lifestyle leads to various ailments. Small amounts of regular activities like doing small tasks, moving around etc greatly benefit your health compared with being absolutely inactive. Ideally, you should perform activities that get you little sweaty and slightly out of breath. For instance, heavy gardening, jogging, cycling, swimming etc can help you stay healthy.
- Don’t use tobacco or smoke: Use of tobacco or smoking leads to various types of cancers and heart disease. Health benefits become visible as soon as you quit smoking and stop using tobacco. If you find it difficult to quit, take the help of medications by consulting a medical practitioner.
- Limit your alcohol intake: Excessive consumption of alcohol can damage your liver and lead to some cancers including liver and throat cancer. Ideally, you shouldn’t consume more than 2 drinks per day if you’re a man and 1 drink if you’re a woman. Additionally, you should maintain at least 2 alcohol-free days every week.
- Eat healthy: Eating a balanced diet is crucial for your overall well-being. A balanced diet should include vegetables, fruits and whole grains along with protein, dairy and healthy fats. If you eat meat on regular basis, go for lean meat or chicken. If you like fried foods, eat them in controlled portions and select vegetable oils like olive, sunflower etc for cooking.
- Adequate sleep: After exercising and eating right, you need to take complete rest. Ideally, you should have an average of eight hours of sleep every night. Remember that while you’re sleeping, your immune system gets improved and your body recovers.
Moderate calorie intake by eating judiciously and burning the calories consumed together with sleeping well and managing stress and other health conditions, if any, will let you live your life to the fullest.