Application Interface Design – Techniques which can increase the usability of apps
In today’s tech-savvy landscape, more and more applications are getting launched which make it quite an enticing option for businesses looking to leverage them. Application interface design is a part of web design that offer intuitive, simple, user-friendly interfaces which empower users to perform tasks seamlessly in less time. Today, when you’re designing for portable screens and for shorter attention spans, your design interface has to be adequately easy so that a novice user can perform tasks using it seamlessly. Also, you’ve to keep in mind not to bore the experienced users. Here, we’ve jotted down some useful techniques which can help you increase the usability of your app.
- Simplicity: The design should be simple which allows users to perform common tasks and to communicate simply and clearly in the users’ own language. Additionally, it should provide good shortcuts that are strategically related to longer processes.
- Goal-driven design: Your interface design should be aimed at appropriate users. You can conduct interviews and surveys to know the demographics of your targeted users. It will help you to decide what specific goals you want the users to fulfill and tailor the app’s workflow to cater to those requirements.
- Learnability: Users should be able to understand the use of the app instinctively. You may consider implementing design patterns in this case.
- Consistency: It’s one of the key factors when designing your app’s interface – it should be consistent throughout your entire app. When users have already learned the know-how of your app, making it similar across all screens will increase nothing but its usability.
- Provide feedback: If you sent a message via your app and your device doesn’t provide any feedback about whether the message has been sent or is still in outbox, it may cause difficulties for the user. So, design your app to provide the users’ feedback when they perform some actions to let them know if the act has been completed, is in progress, or can’t be carried out. It will let your users understand what’s going on.
If you want to provide the users with utmost flexibility and increase the usability of your app, you must understand your users’ key objectives. Only that way will you be able to keep your users engaged with your app.